Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'm a proud spinning momma!

Ta-dah! My first handspun yarn!








Ok. I know it’s a tad overtwisted and the ply is not consistent and it’s probably got a million other things wrong with it that will have be cringing when I look back at this moment but right now I’m thrilled that it doesn’t look like something the cat dragged in.

I picked up the roving at Duncan Fibre Swap last summer, back when I was just driving a drop spindle and the idea of owning a spinning wheel was but a wooly dream. Now that I have my Ashford, I’m spinning anything I can get my hands on.

I first practiced on a couple bundles of country roving to get my feet and hands coordinated and to simply get some mileage under my belt before got into the good stuff.

With my mountain of locally raised fleece and roving to play with, My goal is to spin and knit a 100 mile fiber for at least ½ of my pieces, if not more. With my own wheel, drum carder and guild filled with experts, I don’t think I’ll have any problems meeting that goal.

If you’re looking to get some locally raised fleece/roving/yarn head down to the Qualicum Fibre Sale this Saturday. 10am to 2pm at the Rotary House (corner of Beach and Fern) in Qualicum Beach.

In June is the Victoria Knitting Guild is hosting their Annual Fiber Fest & Knit Out. There’re workshops, fashion show, gala dinner and Stephanie McPhee (aka. The Yarn Harlot) will be making an appearance. Of course, there will be lots and lots of fibre and fibre paraphernalia on sale.

For those that are looking for already spun local yarn, Nanaimo's LYS, Mad About Ewe has brought in some gorgeous locally raised alpaca yarn and hand-dyed wool and silk from Indigo Moon Studio on Gabriola Island.

Gotta go, there's a mountain of Alpaca roving that's calling my name ;)


Enjoy!
Jen Lam

Nanaimo 100 Mile Diet Challenge

No comments: